Sunday, January 3, 2010

You've Come a Long Way, Baby!




Coren Alma Brooks is 1 year old!

Well, he was actually a year old 3 days ago... but I'm a Sorensen; things are late.

It was a simple little party, which is how we wanted it... Chad and I aren't big fans of the "giant birthday bash for the one year-old who doesn't even get it anyway"... um, no offense to my lovely friends who are believers in that--you still rock! :)

Although now, in retrospect, I wish I had at least put up streamers--that was just a complete mind blank. Oh well, no streamers.

Grandma Brooks made delicious enchiladas (more for Coren's pregnant mother, who was craving them, than for himself, really).

Then we gave him his presents--unwrapped because he could care less about wrapping paper. Our rule this year was that his gifts had to be homemade. So Chad and I made some pretty rad little Spanish alphabet blocks, and he's been enjoying knocking down the towers we make with them. His Aunt Summer knitted him this fabulous little scarf that fits him just perfectly! And he loves it! Okay, Grandma and Grandpa Brooks bought him a wagon full of Lego-type blocks, but only because their homemade gift isn't quite done yet. So we let it slide... Ha! No, he loved the wagon--especially dumping out the blocks and riding inside it!

Then it was cake time. This year we did Mr. Noisy, inspired by the Mr. Men book he got from his cousin, Cian, for Christmas. It was a pretty fun and hilarious experience making the cake. Luckily I had my cake-making expert mother-in-law there to coach me on the filling (delicious raspberry pudding goo!) and the frosting. And then we remembered... does anyone ever get red food coloring to actually produce red frosting? Because I think it always comes out pink. So there. My son got a pink cake. But once we got the hands and shoes and black piping on, he looked a little less feminine. And... he was delicious!

Ironically, Coren hated this part of the celebration. He couldn't figure out why we wanted him to stick his hands in the gooey frosting. So I tried to help him along, see if I could get him enthused about it. Nope. Once his hands were covered in the stuff, he started crying and trying to shake it off. Not his favorite thing. So we ended that, cleaned him up, and gave him some ice cream--everything was better with the ice cream. My child is an ice cream fiend... not just a normal Sorensen ice cream fiend! This is really the only time he becomes an angry beast--when we don't shovel it into his mouth fast enough! Wow. What have we created?!

So that was the night. It was really just right for the Dude. Start to finish. Some of the things that Coren does these days that bring me joy:

-He does a killer Stevie Wonder impression. Everyone should see it.
-He must have one foot up on the table when he eats... can we say OCD?
-He grins and dances to "Fireflies" by Owl City, his favorite song.
-He has learned to say "uh-oh" and loves using it.
-He loves brushing his teeth--LOVES it!
-When Dad comes home, he is all smiles and laughter--tender!
-Periodically, all throughout the day, he will interrupt his playing, walk over to me, climb in my lap and hug me--just briefly--then he's off to play some more. I guess it just recharges his batteries. This is my favorite thing of all.

1 comment: