Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"...and pondered these things in her heart"

(Isn't this picture really great?!
 By Alice Havers.
This Mary looks like a mother:
Dark circles under the eyes, tired.
But holding her little boy close.
But at peace.

I've decided that I like being pregnant at Christmas time. 
I like where it sends my thoughts.
How it focuses me inward, in a good way.

I begin to think, what better gift?
What could someone wrap and put under a tree
that could ever come close to a child?

And yes, I say that with sincerity....
Knowing full well that gift cards are quieter,
jewelry never leaves a mess,
my favorite movies always go where I want them to,
and good sushi never disappoints.

I just stop thinking about what else I could be getting,
what else I want or need.

I'm getting a child.
Which was the first gift.
And the greatest.

And so my thoughts turn to holier gifts as well.
Gifts given to me that I can never repay.
Gifts of hope and purpose and joy and eternal family.

From a child.
At Christmas time.

So Merry Christmas to me!
To us!

1 comment:

  1. And having a tiny little baby in the house at Christmas time does the same thing to me.

    ReplyDelete