Friday, June 10, 2011

Oddities


I am discovering oddities in myself.
Yes, I know I have my OCD things. Those I've noted.
But these.... these have crept up on me the last few weeks.

After 28 years.
Shouldn't I have noticed them before?

Oddities like....
How I catch myself counting things that are absolutely inconsequential,
Like the number of cucumber slices I put in the salad.
Or the number of children's clothing articles I fold and put away.
Or the number of morning glory weeds I dig out of the planters.
What in the world am I cataloguing these things for??

 Oddities like....
My arranging of things precisely.
Which wouldn't be odd if I was a neat-freak in other areas of life as well.
No, just certain things.
Like how my tupperware is stacked on the lazy susan.
Or how the toiletries are lined up in the bathroom cupboard.
Or which kids toys go in which bins,
When there is no set toy system.
It's just how I like these certain things to fit.

Oddities like....
How I make lists of everything.
But then I forget about most of them.
Lists for grocery shopping I use. That's fairly normal.
But to-do lists that I never actually check off?
Lists of books that I want to read....that are already sitting in my bookcase!
Lists of names for children that are not yet born,
When I probably won't like most of them by the next child anyway.
Lists of letters I need to write, but never do.
Lists of songs I love.... why? for what?

 How were these oddities born?
And how did they sneak up on me?
After 28 years?!
Really?!

1 comment:

  1. Thats pretty funny! Especially the counting cucumbers or clothes you fold haha. Thank you for your comment about my wall. It was a heck of a lot of work but well worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete