Thursday, August 23, 2012

Every Now and Again.....

(lucysnowephotography on etsy.com)

There are moments when I see mothers and daughters talking. About nothing in particular. Just sharing the day. Just the every day living part of the day. Just talking.

And I am startled by a deep ache for my mom. When she wasn't even on my mind a moment before. And suddenly I miss her so intensely.

I want that mother and daughter to be us. I want to talk to her about my day. Tell her every mundane, unimportant detail of the last twenty-four hours. And I want to see her sitting there, next to me, listening and interested. And not because what I have to say is interesting. But because I am her little girl and I am interesting to her.

And it isn't so much a pitiful whine for a maternal influence--I have wonderful stepmothers and mothers-in-law and even sisters that fill those maternal roles for me. I recognize the blessings I do have. I am thankful for them.

But sometimes it's the need to be needed by the woman who dreamed of me, bore me, raised me, loved me.

To be the center of a mother's universe for a few minutes again.

To feel like there is someone out there whose thoughts turn towards me simply because I am hers.

I watch that mother and daughter and think, Please, can I have that for just an hour? For a moment?


 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Charity, I'm so sorry. Even I miss your mom dearly. I know it doesnt help in the moments of wanting to see her and just talk and hug her, but at least you have a real understanding that she is here and watching over you and she is listening to you even though you cant hear or see her back. I love you and I'm sorry you have to feel this way. I cant even imagine to know the real sadness you feel.

    ReplyDelete